Beatles Guitar You'd Most Like to Own?
Norbert
2024-05-16 13:56:22 UTC
Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 for me.
Geoff
2024-05-16 22:26:50 UTC
Post by Norbert
Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 for me.
Hofner 500-1. Oh, I have one (1968).

Martin D28. Oh, I have one.

Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Oh, I have one (4003)

Tele. Oh, I have one (not rosewood).

Strat. Oh, I have one (not 'rainbow').

Gibson Hummingbird. Oh, I have one (1974)

Gibson SG. Oh, I have one.

geoff
Norbert
2024-05-17 10:54:33 UTC
What's the Hofner like to play? I tried one once in a little hippie guitar shop and while everyone was reverent towards it out of deference to McCartney, I found it kind of stiff.

I've owned Rickenbacker 4001s and 4003s. The one I always wanted -- of course, I'm veering away from Beatles' instruments now -- was the 4002.

Congrats on your impressive collection!
Geoff
2024-05-17 11:19:07 UTC
What's the Hofner like to play?  I tried one once in a little hippie
guitar shop and while everyone was reverent towards it out of deference
to McCartney, I found it kind of stiff.
String tension different, but really fast and 'easy' to play. But
unintentional string bends are more obvious.
I've owned Rickenbacker 4001s and 4003s.  The one I always wanted -- of
course, I'm veering away from Beatles' instruments now -- was the 4002.
Congrats on your impressive collection!
There are lots more (non-Beatlish) guitars, basses, keyboards etc. They
do get hired out as backline which is my 'justification' ;- )

geoff
Norbert
2024-05-17 12:13:19 UTC
No justification is necessary. Musical gear can be a raison d'etre. I used to love hunting for used high-quality instruments and accessories across the country (today one can do this across the world).

Back to Rickenbackers, the bassists best known for using them are probably McCartney, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, and perhaps Lemmy Kilmister. However, Squire insisted that it was seeing the Who and John Entwistle that motivated him to be a Rickenbacker aficionado.

Entwistle did indeed use Rickenbackers occasionally, and he had a bunch of super-rare ones, including an 8-string, which is almost certainly the bass on which he wrote "Success Story" from The Who By Numbers.

One last Chris Squire story: He appeared on Rockline once, and an excited fan babbled to Chris about all the great guitarists he had worked with, including Steve Howe and Jimmy Page. Squire gruffly repiied: "Steve Howe could stay in tune."
Matt
George Telecaster
Geoff
2024-05-19 09:55:18 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Norbert
I've owned Rickenbacker 4001s and 4003s. The one I always wanted -- of
course, I'm veering away from Beatles' instruments now -- was the 4002.
Congrats on your impressive collection!
There are lots more (non-Beatlish) guitars, basses, keyboards etc. They
do get hired out as backline which is my 'justification' ;- )
geoff
George Telecaster
My Tele is a 'James Burton' model, whatever that signifies.

I also have a Leslie 122, so could use that to obscure my inadequate
guitar talent like George in the Get Back/Let It Be era !

geoff
Norbert
2024-05-20 11:23:27 UTC
That flanger like effect on one of the "Let It Be" solos and on
"Octopus' Garden."

Pete Townshend, meanwhile, had taken to running his guitar through his
ARP synthesizer for the leads of songs like "Goin' Mobile" and "Relay."
Today one could get that effect through an envelope filter pedal (my
favorite).
Geoff
2024-05-21 07:45:30 UTC
Post by Norbert
That flanger like effect on one of the "Let It Be" solos and on
"Octopus' Garden."
Octopus' Garden:
Was running the guitar through a compressor triggered by a Moog LFO. A
bit like a tremelo, but weirder.

Let It Be:
The Let It Be (song) one was played through a (rotating) Leslie organ
speaker. On one of the release versions (single ?), and pretty much all
through the Get Back and Let It Be movies.

To my mind not a sonic 'enhancement' (it is horrible IMO), but more of
hiding behind a veil.

geoff
Norbert
2024-05-21 11:43:05 UTC
I agree. George didn't come into his own (indeed, peak) as a guitarist
until Abbey Road.

He peaked as an overall musician and songwriter at that time. His synth
touches and his two songs were his best.
Geoff

super70s
2024-05-18 01:00:03 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Norbert
Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 for me.
Hofner 500-1. Oh, I have one (1968).
Martin D28. Oh, I have one.
Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Oh, I have one (4003)
Tele. Oh, I have one (not rosewood).
Strat. Oh, I have one (not 'rainbow').
Gibson Hummingbird. Oh, I have one (1974)
Gibson SG. Oh, I have one.
geoff
Which of these do you figure is the most rare/valuable?

I remember two or three decades ago they came out with a replica of
John's black Rickenbacker and even that commands a hefty price these
days.
Geoff
2024-05-18 04:18:35 UTC
Post by super70s
Post by Geoff
Post by Norbert
Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 for me.
Hofner 500-1. Oh, I have one (1968).
Martin D28. Oh, I have one.
Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Oh, I have one (4003)
Tele. Oh, I have one (not rosewood).
Strat. Oh, I have one (not 'rainbow').
Gibson Hummingbird. Oh, I have one (1974)
Gibson SG. Oh, I have one.
geoff
Which of these do you figure is the most rare/valuable?
I remember two or three decades ago they came out with a replica of
John's black Rickenbacker and even that commands a hefty price these
days.
Probably my Warwick Thumb 4 NT 'Customer'(don't know who - name polished
off the top fret marker), 1989 "Made in West Germany'.

Else the Hummingbird I guess.

geoff
Norbert
2024-05-18 10:02:34 UTC
Jack Bruce favored the Warwick Thumb in later years.

I've owned a few Warwicks: a fretless Streamer, a Buzzard.
Norbert
2024-05-18 10:49:13 UTC
Here's a bass debate my friends and I used to like: "DiMarzio or Bartolini" pickups?