Mal Moved in w/ McCartney at Cavendis Ave.
Add Reply
Norbert
2024-10-06 19:17:29 UTC
After moving to 7 Cavendish Avenue, with Jane Asher on an American tour,
and having fired his two housekeepers, McCartney invited Mal Evans to
move in with him. According to Womack's Evans bio:

Mal's quarters at 7 Cavendish Avenue were located in the basement, but
his favorite part of the house was the third floor, where Paul had
assembled a sumptuous music room. "We were to send many pleasant
evenings in the little room at the top of the house," Mal wrote. The
space was filled with instruments, but its centerpiece was "a very gaily
decorated piano." Painted by Simon Posthuma and Marijke Koger -- Dutch
artists who would adopt "the Fool" as the name of their design
collective -- the piano had been designed by pop art designers Dudley
Edwards and his partner Doulas Binder in October 1966. Because of its
psychedelic imagery, Paul took to calling the instrument his "magic
piano."
super70s
2024-10-07 11:34:29 UTC
Post by Norbert
After moving to 7 Cavendish Avenue, with Jane Asher on an American tour,
and having fired his two housekeepers, McCartney invited Mal Evans to
Mal's quarters at 7 Cavendish Avenue were located in the basement, but
his favorite part of the house was the third floor, where Paul had
assembled a sumptuous music room. "We were to send many pleasant
evenings in the little room at the top of the house," Mal wrote. The
space was filled with instruments, but its centerpiece was "a very gaily
decorated piano." Painted by Simon Posthuma and Marijke Koger -- Dutch
artists who would adopt "the Fool" as the name of their design
collective -- the piano had been designed by pop art designers Dudley
Edwards and his partner Doulas Binder in October 1966. Because of its
psychedelic imagery, Paul took to calling the instrument his "magic
piano."
Hasn't Paul played some kind of similar psychedelic painted piano
onstage in recent years?

I don't know if it's the same one, or if he'd want to subject something
with such sentimental value to the rigors of touring.

Although he does play one of his vintage '60s basses regularly doesn't
he. The security around that thing must rival the Mona Lisa, lol.
Norbert
2024-10-07 12:17:22 UTC
Yes, I've seen that piano. The painting is impressive.

I think McCartney's Hofner *was* stolen at one point in the 60s, but
somehow he eventually re-acquired it.
Geoff
2024-10-07 21:48:17 UTC
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-mccartney-hofner-bass-returned-lost-bass-project/
geoff
Norbert
2024-10-08 10:56:47 UTC
Thanks for the link! So it was actually stolen in the 70s.

There aren't many stories like that -- a stolen instrument gets reunited
with its owner.

I knew a Boston guy whose bass was stolen. He later encountered it on
the wall of a funky little shop. The guy threatened the shop's owner --
who handed it back to him, fearful for his dubious business, no doubt.