Zappa Rockline BMR OT
Tedalvy
2004-02-18 16:06:15 UTC
from laradio.com 2-18-2004:

Rockline Rocks. This week's edition of Bob Coburn’s “Rockline” features
"The Genius of Frank Zappa"

centered around the only national radio interview done with Frank. “It's from
May of 1981,” emailed

Coburn. “The host is the late B. Mitchel Reed and the program is augmented by
new interviews with

Dweezil Zappa, Zappa guitarist Steve Vai and Frank's long time drummer Terry
Bozzio.” The show airs

Saturday night February 21st, 2004 at 10 p.m. on KLOS. Bob is filling in for
the vacationing Jim

Ladd all this week putting his own slant on "Free Form" Rock radio. “Nobody
does it like Jim, but

each practitioner has their own style. It should be fun,” volunteered Bob.
Tedalvy
2004-02-18 16:38:17 UTC
from http://www.rocklineradio.com/

Wednesday - February 18, 2004

The Genius of Frank Zappa

As ROCKLINE approaches its 23rd anniversary, we at the show become more and
more aware of the incredible library of programs we have. With approximately
one thousand, four hundred shows we have had a front row seat to Rock and Roll
history. ROCKLINE provides a unique vantage point for watching American culture
unfold before our very eyes and ears and to hear directly from the innovators
about their perspective on Rock, their own contributions and the world in
general. Throughout it all we have provided you the chance to speak with some
of the most remarkable humans on the planet.

Without a doubt, one of the most amazing persons to enrich our world was Frank
Zappa. With over 60 albums (60, that's not a typo) Frank continually pushed the
boundaries, challenged us and helped change the way we perceive ourselves and
those around us. Beyond The Beatles and a very short list of others, no one
else can lay claim to such impact. To celebrate the release of the DVD "Baby
Snakes" we are proud to present a reprise of the third ROCKLINE ever broadcast
with the original host of the show B. Mitchell Reed and Frank Zappa. Taken from
May 18, 1981, we will add new perspective to the Zappa story with fresh, brand
new interviews from his son Dweezil, long time guitarist Steve Vai, and Frank's
commander in chief on drums, Terry Bozzio. We will play some of Frank's most
famous songs and portions of the Baby Snakes DVD as well. Plus, it is
absolutely fantastic just to hear Frank's voice again in possibly the only
national radio interview he did.

This is something we began only last year. Re-broadcasting truly special shows
and moments and bringing them up to date with new, relevant interviews. We call
them new, old shows. Call it what you like, but remember not to call at all on
this night, as we present The Genius of Frank Zappa only on ROCKLINE!
MacBeatle
2004-02-18 23:48:34 UTC
Post by Tedalvy
[...]
I'd like to check that out, sir. In fact, I rented the funky old
video (2 cassettes) of Baby Snakes a couple weeks ago and just loved
it to pieces.

My favorite album of the 60: Live at the Fillmore East 1971, with my
*second* favorite Mothers lineup of Mark and Howard, the redoubtable
Ainsley Dunbar and Frank at his devilish professorial best. On the
charts with a bullet: "Happy Together"! (Howard to the crowd: Come on
everybody sing along like a big rock show!) Favorite Lineup: Reuben
and the Jets (Cheap Thrills, Best Song). Also on FREAK OUT: Help I'm a
Rock and It Can't Happen Here. Sleeping in a Jar from Uncle Meat, all
of Weasels Ripped My Flesh...

LaTFE was recorded the night John Lennon (and Yoko Ono) got up on
stage and jammed with the Mothers, following Frank's wonderful speech
about Bill Graham "getting into something better." after closing down
the Fillmore in New York City.

The end of an era.

Frank is sorely missed, in Congress, in the Justice Department, and
all around Southern California in the summer when his live shows
electrified all of his fans. I attended "Just Another Band from L.A."
at Pauley Pavilion and sat in the front row with Neal Preston and
screamed so loud you can hear me on the vinyl release. "200 Motels" -
with Ringo Starr as Frank Zappa and the claymation stop action stuff -
way ahead of MTV in its weirdness.

I could write a million words about Frank Zappa, and it wouldn't begin
to capture his greatness, as a guitarist, a composer of modern
classical music, a performer of fabulously funny and satirical rock
music, the crazed, manic leader of five different incarnations of the
Mothers of Invention, a political activist who urged all of us to
vote, a witness to the PMRC (early incarnation of John Ashcroft's
henchmen enforcing the Patriot Act, co-conspirator with the FCC, who
are currently INVESTIGATING the exposure of Janet's titty... wouldn't
Frank have written an incredible rock opera about the "Aughties" and
the resurgence of the virtual Sixties with resurrected Beatles. All
You Need Is Cash.

Love him Miss him. When's the Box Set coming out, anyway!?

Thanks for posting this, fella.

"Vicious Little Jewish Princess" Schwartz

;-)
MKato
2004-02-20 08:37:02 UTC
I saw it on video. Yoko was horrible!
MacBeatle
2004-02-20 19:41:28 UTC
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
LaTFE was recorded the night John Lennon (and Yoko Ono) got up on
stage and jammed with the Mothers,
I saw it on video. Yoko was horrible!
Thanks for sharing. Now tell us about the video you watched.
How was the sound mix? Picture quality? Name of the person
who made the recording? Social Security Number?

You bootleggers are really something.
MKato
It was alright. Aside from Yoko's horrible screaming.
MacBeatle
2004-02-21 06:30:35 UTC
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
LaTFE was recorded the night John Lennon (and Yoko Ono) got up on
stage and jammed with the Mothers,
I saw it on video. Yoko was horrible!
Thanks for sharing. Now tell us about the video you watched.
How was the sound mix? Picture quality?
It was alright. Aside from Yoko's horrible screaming.
Yeah yeah yeah. Isn't it just too bad John adored her and Frank didn't
try to stop him from bringing her up on stage and isn't it too bad it
was just a rock jam for New Yorkers saying goodbye to the Fillmore
East. It was never meant to be recorded at all. I'm sure the bootleg
video is mediocre in quality. Just like I'm sure that in the summer of
1971, John and Yoko were still embroiled in the legal battles with
Paul, George and Ringo. They didn't have a stage act together yet. And
there was no hurry, either...
except in the fevered minds of the fans.

Thanks for sharing your opinion... twice.

But it doesn't change the fact that the concert was one of the best
rock concerts, ever. It was Frank's night.

Francie
MKato
A recording was made. And the screaming is bad.
Mister Charlie
2004-02-21 15:51:29 UTC
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
Thanks for sharing. Now tell us about the video you watched.
How was the sound mix? Picture quality?
It was alright. Aside from Yoko's horrible screaming.
Yeah yeah yeah. Isn't it just too bad John adored her and Frank didn't
try to stop him from bringing her up on stage and isn't it too bad it
was just a rock jam for New Yorkers saying goodbye to the Fillmore
East. It was never meant to be recorded at all.
A recording was made. And the screaming is bad.
Zappa also hated it. Released the same cut on his own with them
radically mixed out.
MacBeatle
2004-02-21 21:07:13 UTC
Post by MacBeatle
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
Post by MKato
Post by MacBeatle
was just a rock jam for New Yorkers saying goodbye to the Fillmore
East. It was never meant to be recorded at all.
A recording was made. And the screaming is bad.
Zappa also hated it. Released the same cut on his own with them
radically mixed out.
You don't know that Frank hated it. If he had any objection to the two
people
who got up and jammed after the encores, he could have kept them from
playing or singing, real easily. It was his show, his night, and if
there was
room for John and Yoko, that's just tough shit, Cherkle.

It's just like your idiotic statement about John deliberately killing
the Beatles.
Utter nonsense.

The release I am referring to is Live at the Fillmore, which had no
John or Yoko on it.
So before you start patting yourself on your pimply back, please check
your
facts.

Bootleg recordings were one of Frank's pet peeves. Likewise, people
like you
who make blanket statements about shows they didn't attend, and which
they wouldn't have understood if they had been there.

francie