Timothy Leary Turns Again Lennon (1978)
Norbert
2024-05-23 12:24:37 UTC
Singling out John Lennon, whom he had once revered as a saint and a
messenger from God, Tim wrote, "In his admitted compulsion to say and do
anything to hit the top of the charts, Lennon in one year ripped off a
Gubernatorial candidate's slogan (Come Together), the motto of the
militant blacks (Power To The People, Right On), and the Peace Movement
(Give Peace A Chance). He then banked the proceeds and hired a platoon
of who?...lawyers...to convince the Republican administration that he
should be allowed to stay in the American Tax-Haven because he
was..."harmless."

Excerpted from Robert Greenfield's Leary bio

The Leary quote obviously abounds in error.
Norbert
2024-05-23 12:55:06 UTC
I first saw Timothy Leary in one of the Cheech & Chong films. I didn't
know who he was at the time, but I found his constant, unaccountable
laughter incredibly creepy.
Pluted Pup
2024-06-13 05:15:15 UTC
I first saw Timothy Leary in one of the Cheech & Chong films. I didn't
know who he was at the time, but I found his constant, unaccountable
laughter incredibly creepy.
That's from Cheech And Chong's Nice Dreams (1981).
Leary doesn't have much presence in the movie.
Norbert
2024-06-18 10:12:02 UTC
Leary was creepy though, laughing inappropriately like a nut. He did
that many years earlier on William Buckley's Firing Line.

I'll say this for Cheech and Chong, they had some fun guests in their
films. Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson was also in one of them.
super70s
2024-06-18 11:05:52 UTC
Post by Pluted Pup
That's from Cheech And Chong's Nice Dreams (1981).
Leary doesn't have much presence in the movie.
I recently watched a movie dramatization about the Unabomber. They were
both former Harvard professors and I guess the only difference between
them was Leary wasn't mechanically inclined, lol.
Norbert
2024-06-18 14:58:18 UTC
I've read a few books about the Unabomber, including Harvard and
Unabomber: The Education of An American Terrorist. Brilliant as
Kaczynski was in his chosen field, I wouldn't have wanted him as a
professor. He couldn't think on his feet and wouldn't answer students'
questions.