Who Do You Like & Dislike On the Sgt. Pepper Cover?
Add Reply
Norbert
2024-10-07 11:02:02 UTC
I like:

Poe. I've loved his stories & poems since I was a kid. Apparently he
was also an astute critical essayist.

Beardsley. A talented artist. He was gay, and there are more nude
males than I care to look at, but plenty of women, too. In any event,
he had a unique and impressive style.

Terry Southern. I liked his short stories as a kid.

James Joyce. " "

Marilyn Monroe. A beauty who was tragically used and discarded by the
sociopathic Kennedies.

I read Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception as a youth. Today I'm
indifferent to it. What's less well known is he was the grandson of
Thomas "Darwin's Bulldog" Huxley.

I dislike:

Aleister Crowley -- a mentally ill dope fiend.

Dylan -- a musical emperor with no clothes.

and Marx. No person of sense should ever have taken this crap seriously.

Lennon wanted Jesus and Hitler on the cover , too. I'm glad they were
nixed.
cruciverbalist
2024-10-09 19:27:46 UTC
Post by Norbert
Poe. I've loved his stories & poems since I was a kid. Apparently he
was also an astute critical essayist.
Beardsley. A talented artist. He was gay, and there are more nude
males than I care to look at, but plenty of women, too. In any event,
he had a unique and impressive style.
Terry Southern. I liked his short stories as a kid.
James Joyce. " "
Marilyn Monroe. A beauty who was tragically used and discarded by the
sociopathic Kennedies.
I read Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception as a youth. Today I'm
indifferent to it. What's less well known is he was the grandson of
Thomas "Darwin's Bulldog" Huxley.
Aleister Crowley -- a mentally ill dope fiend.
Dylan -- a musical emperor with no clothes.
I appreciate your attempts to keep this group alive and I usually
agree with most of what you post. But in this case I think you're
being just a tad too harsh. I really enjoyed Dylan's output from 1963
through 1975 and think his style (music, lyrics, arrangements,
persona, etc) really fit the zeitgeist. I can still listen to that
stuff now with the same enjoyment I listened to it then. However,
after '75 he lost me. I don't know if he changed or I changed, but he
lost me. YMMV.

Jack
nixed.
Norbert
2024-10-09 20:55:26 UTC
Thanks for your comments. I'm used to being in the minority in
viewing Dylan as absurdly overrated. The one album of his I used to
really like was Desire. I think it was largely because of Emmylou
Harris's beautiful vocal harmonies, though. Cheers!
super70s
2024-10-11 01:30:34 UTC
Post by cruciverbalist
Post by Norbert
[...]
I've never been into the individual albums but I think his Greatest
Hits Vol. 1 and 2 are must-haves, they separate the wheat from the
chaff.

I also own Vol. 3 and enjoy it. I think there's even a Vol. 4 out and
I'd probably like it too if I owned it.
Blueshirt
2024-10-12 17:17:48 UTC
Post by super70s
I've never been into the individual albums but I think his
Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2 are must-haves, they separate the
wheat from the chaff.
I also own Vol. 3 and enjoy it. I think there's even a Vol. 4
out and I'd probably like it too if I owned it.
Surely four volumes of "Greatest Hits" is a bit of an oxymoron?
Any song on Vol. 4 couldn't have been that great, or they would
have been three volumes higher on the list! ;-)