Best & Worst Album Cover
Martin Hofner
2004-12-17 01:12:56 UTC
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap

Best:

Three way tie:

*Meet the Beatles
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to Epstein -
yeah, right)
*Rubber Soul
Thought Police
2004-12-17 01:18:32 UTC
Best:' With The Beatles' or 'Pepper'
Worst:'Rock and Roll Music'
Spleen Merchant
2004-12-17 01:22:12 UTC
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
*Meet the Beatles
Not a bad cover, but not exactly great either.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to Epstein -
yeah, right)
Great. A classic. Imitated by many, equal to none.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Rubber Soul
Not sure about this one. The distorted, fish-eye lens twists their
features into ugly shapes. LSD can do this to people (if it's good,
that is)

Tony
EgwEimi
2004-12-17 17:17:01 UTC
Considering only the "British" albums...

Best (top three, in order):
Sgt. Pepper's LHCB
Rubber Soul
With the Beatles

Worst: (again, in order)
Beatles for Sale
Let It Be
Help!

If we're allowed to include albums from all over the world, my "best" would
possibly be...

Best (top three, in order):
Sgt. Pepper's LHCB
Yesterday...and Today (butcher cover)
Magical Mystery Tour (US)
Jackson4
2004-12-17 17:25:18 UTC
Post by EgwEimi
Considering only the "British" albums...
Sgt. Pepper's LHCB
Rubber Soul
With the Beatles
Worst: (again, in order)
Beatles for Sale
Let It Be
Help!
If we're allowed to include albums from all over the world, my "best" would
possibly be...
Sgt. Pepper's LHCB
Yesterday...and Today (butcher cover)
Magical Mystery Tour (US)
I love Beatles For Sale. Great title. The picture is also very nice. The
US copy was the Butchers or Trunk. We never got Beatles for sale but it
was the photo on We Can work it out/Day tripper. And a different angle
used on The Early Beatles which wasn't as good.
Christopher Jepson
2004-12-17 20:54:14 UTC
Post by EgwEimi
If we're allowed to include albums from all over the world, my "best" would
possibly be...
Sgt. Pepper's LHCB
Yesterday...and Today (butcher cover)
Magical Mystery Tour (US)
Magical Mystery Tour?? For the booklet, or the cover itself?

Chris Jepson
Clark
2004-12-17 03:16:51 UTC
Best:
(1) Love Songs (US version) -- The classic Avedon shot -- the singles best
photo ever taken of the group -- is on the interior, and is beautifully
recreated in reflective gold foil on the textured front cover. (In the UK,
Parlophone refused to spring for the embossed gold foil or for the
texturized "leather," so the cover there looks downright drab.)
(2) A Hard Day's Night (United Artists version) -- Brilliant art direction,
with the classic four heads cropped at the hair line.
(3) Sgt. Pepper -- No need for explanation. An icon.
(4) Help! (US version) -- Beautiful use of color and splashy, high-impact
graphics. The inside gatefold is a perfect representation of a nicely
designed 1960s movie soundtrack albums.
(5) 1962-66/1967-70 -- The cover photos are perfect visual "bookends" to
their career, and they're tastefully bordered in contrasting colors with
minimal use of typography. The designers got around the problem of making
room for the lengthy track listings by placing the titles on a sticker
affixed to the shrinkwrap. Genius. And the inner sleeve photo is a true
classic.

Worst:
(1) Let It Be Naked - The album itself is a very refined, polished version
of the original Let It Be album. So how come the Naked cover goes out of its
way to create a rough, slapdash and unpolished look, with crooked, negative
images as if this is the raw, warts-and-all version? The cover concept is
directly at odds with record inside! The quotes used in the booklet are all
meaningless, out-of-context scraps of dialogue -- and some are even
attributed to the wrong Beatle! A disaster.
(2) Reel Music -- A very cheesy concept that was poorly executed.
(3) Rock & Roll Music -- Hideous artwork. A 1950s "Happy Days" motif for a
Beatles album? What were they thinking? The reflective silver background was
a pretty cool idea, as was the Coca Cola label design (although that's a
symbol of 1950s Americana!), but the rest was awful.
(4) Past Masters I and II -- Horribly uninspired. They look like bootlegs.
(5) 20 Greatest Hits -- See above.
*Rubber Soul
Mr. Moe
2004-12-17 04:07:46 UTC
Worst - TIE - "Reel Music" & "Rock and Roll Music"

Best - "Sgt. Pepper"
_______________________________

Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/
Scribbler
2004-12-17 04:20:04 UTC
Among the "mainstream" albums:

Best: Sgt. Pepper
Runner up: Revolver

Worst: Let It Be (and Let It Be Naked was no improvement)
Runner up: Magical Mystery Tour

Anybody think the White Album had the best cover?
AC
2004-12-17 06:37:10 UTC
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:20:04 -0500,
Post by Scribbler
Best: Sgt. Pepper
Runner up: Revolver
Worst: Let It Be (and Let It Be Naked was no improvement)
Runner up: Magical Mystery Tour
Anybody think the White Album had the best cover?
It had the benefit of simplicity.
--
Aaron Clausen
***@hotmail.com

"Will you kindly explain to me the reasons to debar individuals in certain
branches from rising by merit to commissioned rank? If a cook may rise, or a
steward, why not an electrical artificer or au ordnance rating or a
shipwright? If a telegraphist may rise, why not a painter? Apparently there
is no difficulty about painters rising in Germany!" - Winston Churchill
Chocolate Jesus
much like you.
j***@envirosys.com
2004-12-17 16:15:37 UTC
Chocolate Jesus Dec 17, 1:00 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: "Chocolate Jesus" <***@jesussaves.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:00:39 +1100
Subject: Re: Best & Worst Album Cover
original | Report Abuse
Post by Scribbler
Worst: Let It Be (and Let It Be Naked was no improvement)
Runner up: Magical Mystery Tour
I once was tripping very hard on some high grade LSD and for 12 hours
viewed the covers of MMT and SPLHCB Lp's . There was something in there
that was dying to get out and take me away and make me a member. A
revelation of sorts. I became the 15th million 5th beatle. It was
like I'm in the club and have recieved the secret message.
Mister Charlie
LOL!!!
Leonard Los
2004-12-18 02:10:49 UTC
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:57:45 -0800, "Mister Charlie"
Post by Mister Charlie
Post by j***@envirosys.com
Post by Scribbler
Worst: Let It Be (and Let It Be Naked was no improvement)
Runner up: Magical Mystery Tour
I once was tripping very hard on some high grade LSD and for 12 hours
viewed the covers of MMT and SPLHCB Lp's . There was something in there
that was dying to get out and take me away and make me a member. A
revelation of sorts. I became the 15th million 5th beatle. It was
like I'm in the club and have recieved the secret message.
LOL!!!
I was just telling my son about the time
I took (let's just say a certain drug) and
pulled out rhe Beach Boys "Smiley Smile"
lp.
During the "Woody Woodpecker Suite"
a.k.a. "Fall Breaks To Winter"
I was trapped in a cloud of billowing
smoke, a little while later I was able
to get my head high enough above it
only to have the animals on the cover
make me laugh uncontroled for what seemed like
several minutes. What got to me the most was that
little worm at the bottom of the cover.

Well anyway, the next day I happened to
look at the cover straight, did nothing for me.

Oh, my opinion for Best Beatles Cover???
I'll go with "Revolver" with
"Rubber Soul" a close second.

L.L.
Mister Charlie
2004-12-18 03:53:49 UTC
Post by Mister Charlie
Post by j***@envirosys.com
Post by Scribbler
[...]
Heaviest cover I ever saw under the influence of medicine was Harvey
Mandel, Cristo Redemptor. Changed MY life.
Leonard Los
2004-12-18 04:55:34 UTC
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:53:49 -0800, "Mister Charlie"
Post by Mister Charlie
Heaviest cover I ever saw under the influence of medicine was Harvey
Mandel, Cristo Redemptor. Changed MY life.
Yeah, I remember that one.
Wasn't that on Phillips???
That label had some great covers.

Leigh Stephens "Red Weather"
and H.P. Lovecraft "II"
are a couple that I remember.

Especially the inside of the Lovecraft
gatefold, it gave the illusion of movement.
Lyrics in circles, A guy on a swing,
and frame after frame photography.
All drenched in psychedelic colour.

L.L.
Mister Charlie
Yeah. sigh Long long ago.....
Christian Indie Radio
2004-12-17 19:59:54 UTC
Post by j***@envirosys.com
I once was tripping very hard on some high grade LSD and for 12 hours
viewed the covers of MMT and SPLHCB Lp's . There was something in there
that was dying to get out and take me away and make me a member. A
revelation of sorts. I became the 15th million 5th beatle. It was
like I'm in the club and have recieved the secret message.
Ah, but did you get the secret decoder ring?

AoW

============
Al On Wheelz
============
AC
2004-12-17 06:35:55 UTC
On 16 Dec 2004 17:12:56 -0800,
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
Huh? Drop some acid and then stare at it for a while.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Meet the Beatles
Yes.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to Epstein -
yeah, right)
I never did like it?
Post by Martin Hofner
*Rubber Soul
It's alright.

Jackson4
2004-12-17 17:31:10 UTC
Post by AC
On 16 Dec 2004 17:12:56 -0800,
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
Huh? Drop some acid and then stare at it for a while.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Meet the Beatles
Yes.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to Epstein -
yeah, right)
I never did like it?
Post by Martin Hofner
*Rubber Soul
It's alright.
Never cared for the photo used on Introducing the Beatles put out by Vee
Jay or the Old Man characture for there other Live On Stage. I do like
the alternative cover with the drawing also used on the Love Me Do
sleeve by Vee Jay. Someone once told me John looked like a used car
salesman on the Introducing photo which is a reverse of the original.
Son of Jones
2004-12-18 18:57:17 UTC
Nobody has mentioned Beatles '65, with the four pictures representing
the four seasons. In one picture they're holding springs. Get it?
Springs? When I see that photographer in Hell, I promise I'll smack him
around. No doubt I'll have to get in line.

SO Jones
Mr. Charlie
2004-12-18 20:08:05 UTC
abbey road.best
Free Blanket_Jackson
2004-12-18 20:53:23 UTC
Post by Mr. Charlie
abbey road.best
The best LP cover was/is Yesterday And Today. The original Butchered LP.
The marketing concept intentional or accidental was ingenious. I'm
surprised it was never copied. If it has been I have never seen it.
If it was an accident, then it was magnificent. Even the name of the LP
with the run-down moptops of sorts around the Paul-is-dead motif trunk
as Yesterday and the much cooler looking future Lady Killers to be
revealed as Today.
poisoned rose
2004-12-18 22:21:40 UTC
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:pxfibkk96akb
#2 Troller
2004-12-18 22:37:00 UTC
Post by poisoned rose
Post by Free Blanket_Jackson
The best LP cover was/is Yesterday And Today. The original Butchered LP.
The marketing concept intentional or accidental was ingenious. I'm
surprised it was never copied. If it has been I have never seen it.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:pxfibkk96akb
The concept of pasting one cover over another. Not the actual photo or
parody of it.
Jeff -
2004-12-18 21:02:13 UTC
Post by Son of Jones
Nobody has mentioned Beatles '65, with the
four pictures representing the four seasons.
In one picture they're holding springs. Get it?
Springs? When I see that photographer in
Hell, I promise I'll smack him around.
Why would you plan on going to hell?
Post by Son of Jones
No doubt I'll have to get in line.
=A0=A0=A0>>SO Jones

Jeff
Paskunia
2004-12-20 03:03:59 UTC
Post by AC
On 16 Dec 2004 17:12:56 -0800,
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
You obviously were not around in 1966 when it originally came out. It may
not be state of the art now, but it was back then. Beatle friend Klaus
Voorman designed it, and may have won a Grammy for it (yes? no?). Compare
that one to the bland, pre-Rubber Soul covers, and you'll see that, as
they grew musically, they began to take a hand in how their album covers
were designed, as well. Nobody's LP jackets looked like theirs.

R.A.G. Seely
2004-12-17 06:58:07 UTC
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
Sorry old mate - here your eye is misleading you! This is one of
the classic Beatles album covers
Post by Martin Hofner
*Meet the Beatles
Aargh!! *With* the Beatles is one of the best, but *Meet* the
Beatles was a cheap off-print - the sort of thing you'd expect on a
bootleg.
Post by Martin Hofner
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to
Epstein - yeah, right)
Too "busy" for my taste. The White Album was an improvement ...
Post by Martin Hofner
*Rubber Soul
Lovely - but not one of the classics, I think.

The worst?: We now have a new candidate in the Capitol Albums Vol
I - why they picked one of the geekiest pictures for that cover I
cannot imagine. It's as if they didn't want any non-first-gen fan
to pick it up! It's almost as repulsive as the packaging itself (I
figure the best way to handle this is to put the CDs in a 4CD jewel
box with a colour copy of the original albums in some form or other
- there are several possibilities - and keep the longbox for one's
bookshelf (empty!). In fact - the recent issues from EMI/Capitol
have all been pretty bad as far as the covers go ...
--
-= rags =-

<rags AT math . mcgill . ca>
<http://www.math.mcgill.ca/rags>

Eliminate Spam with Mailwasher Pro
<http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?webepq>
Chocolate Jesus
2004-12-17 09:01:39 UTC
dont worry about it, the guy's a fucking idiot.
j***@envirosys.com
2004-12-17 15:36:52 UTC
The worst is Yesterday and Today. The Butcher cover should have been
left alone. The trunk cover is the pits.
Of course that's exactly the way it was planned.
Jeff -
Jeff
Steve
2004-12-17 16:52:22 UTC
Best - White Album (but only if it has a number stamped on it!)
Worst - Let It Be

Latter-day compilations such as Rock&Roll Music or Reel Music shouldn't even
be considered in a poll such as this. They weren't issued in the Beatles'
era and I don't think anyone from the band had any input.
Jackson4
2004-12-17 17:22:18 UTC
Post by Steve
Best - White Album (but only if it has a number stamped on it!)
Worst - Let It Be
Latter-day compilations such as Rock&Roll Music or Reel Music shouldn't even
be considered in a poll such as this. They weren't issued in the Beatles'
era and I don't think anyone from the band had any input.
At the time John Lennon offered to do the cover for rock and roll.
Capitol stupidly rejected his offer. I hate the cover and especially
hate the 45 slip cover of Helter skelter that is basicaly the album
cover. All the Beatles hated it too. Ringo made comments that they were
never about the big fins etc.
Jeff -
2004-12-17 20:10:44 UTC
Post by Steve
Best - White Album (but only if it has a
number stamped on it!) Worst - Let It Be
Latter-day compilations such as Rock&Roll
Music or Reel Music shouldn't even be
considered in a poll such as this.
This isn't a poll. It's a discussion.

:-)
Jeff
Jackson4
2004-12-17 17:40:06 UTC
Post by Martin Hofner
Worst: Revolver - pure amateur crap
*Meet the Beatles
*Sgt Pepper ("brown paper bags" would be better according to Epstein -
yeah, right)
*Rubber Soul
I never cared for the original Let It Be cover. I dislike the new cover
even more. One other note: I was really displeased with the last
Beatles' single - Real Love. I would have much preferred an updated
photo of the three survivors with a photo of John somewhere in the mix.
Instead we got a photo circa 1966 or so. It had nothing to do with the
Anthology or the new song. I never understood the thought process in the
art department at EMI or Capitol with the post 70's or even some of the
60's Capitol covers. I didn't really even like the Free As a Bird cover
but it was heads and tails better than Real Love and it was a John
drawing. They could have taken a still from the video. Say the falling
piano or instruments flying. To a collector it would have been nice to
get one of the photos that Life did of Paul Geo and Ringo in 95 on the
picture Sleeve. Probably would have been a good selling point too.
Spleen Merchant