Best cover of a John song; best cover of a Paul song; best cover of a George song?
JohnB
2005-10-11 11:52:25 UTC
Following on from the comments from Yoko, what are the best cover
versions of songs by John, Paul & George? There are far more of Paul's
to choose from, of course, but I think the best cover is of one of
John's and that is Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy.

There is a good version of "Here There & Everywhere" by a country
singer, possibly Emmylou Harris or Ricki Lee Jones, I can't remember,
but I struggle to recall any other versions of Paul's or and of
George's songs that really worked (I really can't stand Shirley
Bassey's "Something").
Nowhere
2005-10-11 14:27:07 UTC
In My Life by Jose Feliciano, is a classic.
Village Idiot
2005-10-11 14:33:05 UTC
Post by Nowhere
In My Life by Jose Feliciano, is a classic.
Something

Sinatra - His Favorite Lennon McCartney song.
Chek
2005-10-11 16:15:55 UTC
As a Frank comment, also a classic ;)
u***@mscomm.com
2005-10-11 17:00:36 UTC
In fairness, Sinatra always properly attributed George as the writer
after 1980. It just took him 11 years to figure it out.

Sinatra's version of Yesterday is stellar, absolutely beautiful. And
Linda Ronstadt's version of Goodnight is superior to the Beatles'
original!
Village Idiot
2005-10-11 17:06:10 UTC
Post by u***@mscomm.com
In fairness, Sinatra always properly attributed George as the writer
after 1980. It just took him 11 years to figure it out.
Sinatra's version of Yesterday is stellar, absolutely beautiful. And
Linda Ronstadt's version of Goodnight is superior to the Beatles'
original!
I've only heard one song by a performer that lived up to the original
I am the Walrus - Natalie Cole.
Robert
2005-10-19 00:47:04 UTC
Cheap Trick ; Live version of Day Tripper
Phil Collins: Live version of Tomorrow Never Knows

Deep Purple: Help!

Aerosmith: Come Together from yeeesh SPLHCB movie...avec Les Brothers Gibb

Robert
X***@monoman.com
2005-10-19 00:50:45 UTC
Post by Nowhere
In My Life by Jose Feliciano, is a classic.
Eleanor Rigby The Zoot.

A day in the life Jose Feliciano (live in the UK)

Love (dare i say it ) Barbra Streisand
HFil
2005-10-19 07:03:54 UTC
Post by X***@monoman.com
Post by Nowhere
In My Life by Jose Feliciano, is a classic.
Eleanor Rigby The Zoot.
A day in the life Jose Feliciano (live in the UK)
That's live version of "A day in the life" from the London Palladium is
great for me!

but also I consider "Hey Jude" by Jose Feliciano the most incredible
cover by a Beatles song then I ever heard, 8 min of english, spanish and
incredible crazy and so fast guitar
bye
HF
macca281F
2005-10-19 14:43:52 UTC
<<but also I consider "Hey Jude" by Jose Feliciano the most incredible
cover by a Beatles song then I ever heard, 8 min of english, spanish
and
incredible crazy and so fast guitar bye>>HIFi

When I was a kid I heard Feliciano's version of "Light My Fire" before
the Doors'. I remember being very disappointed when I heard the Doors'
version...I liked Feliciano's so much better. Did he die a few years
ago? What an artist.

Stefan
petard
I think he's still alive.
John L. Mallette
2005-10-19 15:34:30 UTC
Strawberry Fields Forever - Peter Gabriel
Here Comes the Sun - Ritchie Havens
Lizz Holmans
2005-10-19 16:01:39 UTC
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:34:30 -0400, "John L. Mallette"
Post by John L. Mallette
Strawberry Fields Forever - Peter Gabriel
Here Comes the Sun - Ritchie Havens
In My Life-Judy Collins

Lizz 'Predictable is the word of the year' Holmans
I was too far out all my life
HFil
2005-10-22 18:39:25 UTC
Post by macca281F
version...I liked Feliciano's so much better. Did he die a few years
ago? What an artist.
He's still alive (now he's make a concert tour in Europe) and is ever a
great star in Latin America where any his spanish album goes on the
charts, From much time He has no more space in record companies for
english album (they wants only spanish album for those markets), so He's
now self producer in his personal studios in Connecticut somethings in
english and soon an entire instrumental album only for internet download
called "Six String Lady"
http://www.josefeliciano.com/index2.html
eaay to imagine He can put some Beatles tune (in 60s and 70s Jose
recorded fantastic guitar instrumental version of
And I Love Her, Here There and Averywhere (then was nominated for the
Grammy like best instrumental tune in 1968), Norvegian Wood, Yesterday,
Lady Madonna and the same Hey Jude)
bye
HF

Richard
2005-10-11 20:23:52 UTC
Post by JohnB
Following on from the comments from Yoko, what are the best cover
versions of songs by John, Paul & George? There are far more of Paul's
to choose from, of course, but I think the best cover is of one of
John's and that is Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy.
How about one Beatle covering another? I absolutely loved
Paul's version of "Something" in the Concert for George.

Richard
a***@yahoo.com
2005-10-11 20:27:25 UTC
Agree.

I kinda like - I Will - Live - Kathy Mattea comes to mind
imagine
Richard
Rerics
2005-10-19 23:18:46 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by JohnB
Following on from the comments from Yoko, what are the best cover
versions of songs by John, Paul & George? There are far more of Paul's
to choose from, of course, but I think the best cover is of one of
John's and that is Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy.
How about one Beatle covering another? I absolutely loved
Paul's version of "Something" in the Concert for George.
Richard
How about one Beatle progeny covering a Beatle? Remember the Allstate
TV ads a couple of years ago with an off-camera Julian Lennon singing
"When I'm Sixty-Four"?

Rerics
Zibblu
2005-10-12 00:45:48 UTC
i will by allison krause comes to mind...

in general i'm not a big fan of beatles covers.

www.zibblu.com - zibblu reservations - worldwide hotels
macca281F
2005-10-12 06:12:51 UTC
I think EW&F "Got To Get You Into My Life" is great. Also, the entire
"Dark Side of Abbey Road" by George Benson.
f***@yahoo.com
2005-10-12 20:38:16 UTC
Long ago I saw a video performance by Michael Jackson doing Come
Together while he grabbed his crotch. It was interesting.
a***@yahoo.com
2005-10-19 15:24:36 UTC
Yeah - Allison Krause - I Will.

Steel drums and banjo on the same track!. Really neat.

Even better than Kathy Mattea that I mentioned before.
Robert A (enterprise)
2005-10-12 23:35:07 UTC
Post by JohnB
Following on from the comments from Yoko, what are the best cover
versions of songs by John, Paul & George? There are far more of Paul's
to choose from, of course, but I think the best cover is of one of
John's and that is Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy.
There is a good version of "Here There & Everywhere" by a country
singer, possibly Emmylou Harris or Ricki Lee Jones, I can't remember,
but I struggle to recall any other versions of Paul's or and of
George's songs that really worked (I really can't stand Shirley
Bassey's "Something").
I think Johnny Cash doing In My Life on his last album was fantastic. Just
a stripped down acoustic version.
dahldude
2005-10-13 03:30:50 UTC
Screamin' Jay Hawkins: Monkberry Moon Delight
macca281F
2005-10-13 06:36:23 UTC
<<Screamin' Jay Hawkins: Monkberry Moon Delight >>dahldude

Wow...sounds great. What's it on?

Stefan
macca281F
2005-10-13 06:40:25 UTC
Nevermind...found it.

She Put The Wammee On Me (rec. 1953-1970)
A compilation of recordings from the early 50s through the mid-60s,
plus two cuts from 1970. There's a great deal of pedestrian R&B, often
dimly recorded (the pre-Okeh "Baptize Me In Wine"). The closest thing
to a hit was "The Whammy" from 1963 - the title track is a 1954
recording of the same tune - which is amusing though it's a rather
obvious tables-turned rewrite of "Spell On You." The cover of Paul
McCartney's "Monkberry Moon Delight" comes closest to the crazed
pleasures of At Home, as Hawkins' outré mannerisms sound best when set
against a catchy tune and corny backing vocals; everything else is a
Screamin' Jay original. Originally released as Screamin' The Blues.
(DBW)
hoist

(DBW)
dahldude
2005-10-14 02:56:42 UTC
Coolio- the first I heard of this was going through the then new
"Beatles Undercover" book when I was snagging anything that had Beatles
involvement.

Reading about it struck me as a great curio because of the tune being
fringe and it's a fave Paul track o' mine. SJH has a manic delivery in
the vein of Arthur Brown, though not as operatic.
atomic
2005-10-13 06:56:55 UTC
Mine go like this:

John song: I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Eric Gales

George song: Something - Elvis

Paul song: With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker
f***@yahoo.com
2005-10-13 09:03:56 UTC
With a Little Help From My Friends was by Paul and John.
a***@adelphia.net
2005-10-13 11:06:59 UTC
GEORGE - Nina Simone did a great version of Here Comes the Sun (from
the album of the same name)
JOHN - (ok, the girl on the "Find a new singer for INXS" TV show did a
nice version of Imagine but maybe thats cause its recent and its the
first i thought of, so it's not an actual opinion but a facsimilie of
one)
PAUL - Joe Cocker - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Sorry RIngo I couldnt think of any
poisoned rose
2005-10-13 19:38:40 UTC
Camper Van Beethoven - "Photograph"
atomic
2005-10-13 23:01:30 UTC
"PAUL - Joe Cocker - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window "

Actually on 2nd thought, that was a good version. Better than his take
on WALHFMF
John L. Mallette
2005-10-19 23:04:01 UTC