"Suicide" by Paul McCartney
AllaBest
2011-08-10 13:34:41 UTC
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record. He should have because it is so great!

Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.

What a marvelous melody! Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...

"One Hand Clapping" Version:

"Suicide: Original recording:

freshfeces
2011-08-10 16:46:12 UTC
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Was the one on the sound stage part of the rehearsal for James Paul
McCartney special?
AllaBest
2011-08-11 00:09:02 UTC
Post by freshfeces
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Was the one on the sound stage part of the rehearsal for James Paul
McCartney special?
It was from "One Hand Clapping" and I'm not sure those are one and the
same thing.

Interestingly, I found the complete lyric, and in the clips Paul seems
to only sing the second verse.

"Girls it's been my pleasure
To know quite a lot of you.
And in the main
You're pretty sane, it's true.
But there are a few who do to
doo ti doo too beautiful a job.
It isn't quite what they planned
When the man gets the upper hand.
He's takin' her for a ride.
I'd call it suicide.

If when she tries to run away
And he calls her back, she comes.
If there's a next time, he's okay
Cause she's under both his thumbs.
She limps along to his side
Singing a song of ruin. I'd
bet he says nothin' doin'.
I-I-I-I I'd call it suicide.

She loves to ride in big parades.
But he wouldn't so she won't.
She needs at least a dozen maids.
But if he says no she don't.
He wishes she knew his side.
Soon there'll be trouble brewin' I'd
bet he says nothin' doin'
I-I-I-I I'd call it suicide.

Suicide, she's commitin' it
Suicide, he's not gettin' it
Suicide, it's a quittin' a day.

(INSTRUMENTAL VERSE W/WORDLESS VOCAL)

She limps along to his side
Singing a song of ruin. I'd
bet he says nothin' doin'.
I-I-I-I I'd call it suicide."

"Suicide"
by
+ Paul McCartney +
AllaBest
2011-08-11 23:04:37 UTC
Post by AllaBest
[...]
I found a version that includes the other verses listed above:

AllaBest
2011-08-11 23:07:12 UTC
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!

You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.

AllaBest
2011-08-12 00:34:18 UTC
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
ermitano
2011-08-15 19:05:39 UTC
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.

i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
AllaBest
2011-08-15 19:53:57 UTC
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
Not wanting to offend RichL, I'll not respond to this very serious
post other than to say that I wish I could get this "nothing special
about it" song out of my head.

Harrison didn't care much about it and Ringo? Where did you get
these ideas?

I always thought Ringo and George were very close.

"She limp along to his side
Singing a song of ruin.
I'd bet he says nothin' doin'.
I-I-I-I I'd call it suicide."

ermitano
2011-08-15 22:24:31 UTC
Post by AllaBest
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
Not wanting to offend RichL, I'll not respond to this very serious
post other than to say that I wish I could get this "nothing special
about it" song out of my head.
RichL ??
Post by AllaBest
Harrison didn't care much about it and Ringo?   Where did you get
these ideas?
I always thought Ringo and George were very close.
"She limp along to his side
 Singing a song of ruin.
 I'd bet he says nothin' doin'.
 I-I-I-I I'd call it suicide."
http://www.whokilledbambi.co.uk/public/2010/12/temple.gif- Ocultar texto de la cita -
- Mostrar texto de la cita -
i got these ideas from my head...
well, you know, after reading some books and notes about sessions
RichL
My reaction too. Heh...
who?
2011-08-15 20:07:33 UTC
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
It sure is better than "Not guilty". I've heard 4 takes of that
song and I don't want to hear the 98 remaining takes.
ermitano
2011-08-15 22:25:29 UTC
Post by who?
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
It sure is better than "Not guilty". I've heard 4 takes of that
song and I don't want to hear the 98 remaining takes.- Ocultar texto de la cita -
- Mostrar texto de la cita -
i don't know if it's better or not.. but i prefer Not Guilty... just
my opinion.
BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2011-08-15 23:40:37 UTC
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
Agreed

Sounds like Lennon wasn't interested..

The Lone Star
2011-08-16 01:25:56 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
Agreed
Sounds like Lennon wasn't interested..
http://youtu.be/FXYVf9f2pVg
Wow!

Too great!

Thanks, Jim!

I think the song is just too great and that it was kind of like the
last straw, for John.

Yeah, will produce all of these incredible songs (perhaps John
thought) and they will make us famous forever, but we will NOT do this
song that may be the greatest melody EVER!

It would over shadow everything else we would do!

We would NEVER be able to top "Suicide".

So, The Beatles never did it.

It would have been... suicide!
TheWalrusWasDanny
2011-08-15 23:38:05 UTC
Post by ermitano
Post by AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
You can tell that Paul is very proud of this tune with the performance
he gives.
http://youtu.be/aaOYzYrRLqU
Why did The Beatles never record (officially) "Suicide"?
i think because lennon used to hate this kind of songs by paul,
harrison didn't care much about it, and ringo...
with honey pie and maxwell was enough for the beatles, i guess.
i don't like the song, anyway, there's nothing special about it.
Seems to be early 70s though..quite RRS I'm thinking...interesting
only put up on 4th July and not many views...Hadn't heard this
before..

Danny
brilton
2011-08-12 02:35:24 UTC
That's MICHAEL PARKINSON for God's sake!
AllaBest
2011-08-12 22:49:48 UTC
Post by brilton
Post by AllaBest
I have also found this version that Paul evidently sang on a show
hosted by Soupy Sales!
That's MICHAEL PARKINSON for God's sake!
Never heard of him.

Was he trying to look like Soupy Sails?
brilton

Idiot.
Jales
2011-08-14 13:58:54 UTC
Ocultar texto de la cita -
Where is this recording from?
who?
2011-08-10 22:31:16 UTC
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
I doubt very much Sinatra would have wanted to sing any song
called "Suicide". It's the title that's depressing, and I don't
blame him for turning it down.
AllaBest
2011-08-10 23:45:19 UTC
Post by who?
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
I doubt very much Sinatra would have wanted to sing any song
called "Suicide". It's the title that's depressing, and I don't
blame him for turning it down.
Well, I thought the same way until I heard the song.

It is an exquisite melody that could have been one of his biggest hits!
who?
Yeah, I like the song.
Lizz Holmans
2011-08-11 18:04:49 UTC
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:34:41 -0700 (PDT), AllaBest
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record. He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody! Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Sinatra couldn't have hit those high notes by then And it certainly
wasn't aimed at his audience. But it gives me pleasure to add to the
few McCartney solo songs I like.

Lizz 'besides, suicide is painless' Holmans

--

Whatever happened to linoleum floors, petroleum jelly and two world wars?

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/show/826793-cricket-she-wrote
Jales
2011-08-14 14:02:00 UTC
There's another gem called All Of You which I think he briefly
performed on One Hand Clapping... Was it given to another artist to
record? Was it ever properly recorded by Paul on the studio? I think
it's a great tune... does anybody know anything about this song?
AllaBest
2011-08-14 18:45:03 UTC
There's another gem called "All Of You" which I think he briefly
performed on One Hand Clapping...
Here it is:

Jales
2011-08-15 17:39:24 UTC
There's another gem called "All Of You" which I think he briefly
performed on One Hand Clapping...
Here it http://youtu.be/bK54xnDH0JA
Thanks. Great tune.. What happened to it? Was it ever officially
released?
AllaBest
2011-08-15 19:44:57 UTC
Post by Jales
There's another gem called "All Of You" which I think he briefly
performed on One Hand Clapping...
Here it http://youtu.be/bK54xnDH0JA
Thanks. Great tune.. What happened to it? Was it ever officially
released?
Evidently not! Like so many other GREAT songs by Paul McCartney
("Cage", "Waterspout", etc...) they are just waiting on God knows
what!

Meanwhile, Paul continues to write rather weak songs and releasing
them when he could be releasing all of these other tunes written
earlier in a more inspired period of his life!

I guess, he may be holding on to these for some grand album in the
future, and who can blame him!
Jales
You're right! We'll have to wait and see...
BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2011-08-15 23:45:48 UTC
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Considering Sinatra once attempted suicide..it's no wonder he wouldn't
record a song with such a title.
TheWalrusWasDanny
2011-08-16 00:36:06 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Considering Sinatra once attempted suicide..it's no wonder he wouldn't
record a song with such a title.
Hey Jimmy..I'm back in NYC this weekend..are you aware? 20th at
McSorleys..if you can make it...

Danny
BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2011-08-16 19:56:14 UTC
Post by TheWalrusWasDanny
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Considering Sinatra once attempted suicide..it's no wonder he wouldn't
record a song with such a title.
Hey Jimmy..I'm back in NYC this weekend..are you aware? 20th at
McSorleys..if you can make it...
Danny- Hide quoted text -
Yes...last year, circumstance kept me away...so far, so good...

TheWalrusWasDanny
2011-08-19 00:07:10 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by TheWalrusWasDanny
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Considering Sinatra once attempted suicide..it's no wonder he wouldn't
record a song with such a title.
Hey Jimmy..I'm back in NYC this weekend..are you aware? 20th at
McSorleys..if you can make it...
Danny- Hide quoted text -
Yes...last year, circumstance kept me away...so far, so good...
J- Hide quoted text -
OK see you there Saturday...you can buy me a beer :-)

Danny

Bob Grimes
2011-08-16 01:38:25 UTC
Post by BLACKPOOLJIMMY
Post by AllaBest
Here is the tune Paul wrote for Frank Sinatra that unfortunately Frank
didn't want to record.  He should have because it is so great!
Previously, we heard only an enticing tidbit at the end of "Hot As
Sun" on McCartney's breakaway from The Beatles album.
What a marvelous melody!  Paul was really "hot" at this time writing
"Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed", etc...
"One Hand Clapping" Version: http://youtu.be/odBGZWOjECA
"Suicide: Original recording: http://youtu.be/3n2lv0ojasc
Considering Sinatra once attempted suicide..it's no wonder he wouldn't
record a song with such a title.
Interesting!

You are surely right with that observation.

Very good!