Songwriters amongst us?
JohnB
2006-01-05 11:39:40 UTC
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.

How long have you been writing?
What style do you write?
How do you compose?
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
Ever been covered?

I've been writing songs for forty years though the output from my first
decade is almost entirely forgotten (and justifiably). Many songs from
later times have also fallen by the wayside but I have maybe 90-100
that I regard as finished and have stood the test of time. There are
also as many waiting for the required inspiration to finish them off
but I'm currently in a "writer's block" phase :-(
I write mostly folk-style, influenced by the likes of Richard Thompson,
Alan Hull, Ralph McTell and Pete Morton, but there have also been many
Beatles and Dylan influences noted. Some forays into rock/pop.
I always start with lyrics, mostly with a rhythm and tune forming as I
write, but only rarely does that melody survive. The melody and the
rest of the structure is written with a guitar in my lap and once
written is left alone for a few days. When I return to it I find
either a) I have forgotten it completely; b) it now reminds me of
something else; or c) it is good enough and memorable enough, though
often it will be tweaked here and there.
Many songs have been recorded, maybe 30 on commercial (if limited)
recordings. I used to have an 8-track reel to reel desk/recorder but
that has recently departed and I'm now trying to learn Cubase.
To the best of my knowledge, one of my songs has been sung by another
singer in a folk club far away - but that's as far as 'coverage' goes!
Key (and proud) moments for me were when I was asked to write original
music for two community plays, for the second of which I was given the
title Musical Director.
Joseph Pastor
2006-01-05 13:42:09 UTC
Ahhhh the song.... my best friend.
I have been writing now on 20 years and maybe have written 90-100 songs.
They came a lot easier 20 years ago and now put up quite a fight before they
are committed to paper.
Style, in my style, I guess. They mostly sound Folksy or Country when I get
them done. I don't pattern them after anyone else's work, but I'd say that
Dylan , Springsteen and Johnny Cash are major influences. I tried Dylanesque
Finger Pointing songs when I was younger, but no one liked them but me.

I compose first with word play and the idea of the song. Then I grab my
trusty guitar and start with basic chord patterns till it fits what I am
saying. At this point a tape recorder comes in handy and I may come up with
several melody ideas, but if I didn't tape them, I'd never remember them.
The word play goes on and on until I feel I've said what I wanted to say, or
it seems like there is a complete idea or feeling on the paper, then it's
time for the fine tuning and touching up.... sharpening the idea.

I have recorded several times but never did anything with it... never a
commercial studio but rather some friends who's tascams weren't being used.
I had submitted songs to whom ever I could find to listen and had early
offers from some Country stars people, but the three offers all included a
co-writing credit to the artist, and I declined the offers thinking the
song was mine and no one needed to get a piece of me to make money using my
songs. Smart move? probably not... as they were all declined after I
refused the co-writer offer. I came close with a song called "Time After
Time" back in the early 1980's . Crystal Gayle's people had interest in
it... and about a month later Cyndi lauper had a Time After Time song that
went big and I just put mine away...

Have I been covered? In a sort of fashion. I worked with two bands who were
friends, and a solo artist and performed a lot backthen. They would all do
my songs, and I enjoyed that a lot. It was a great feeling when they had a
long stand in a club or bar and the people would begin to request songs that
I'd written.. that was cool especially when they sang along. That was the
high point for me.

So there we go.... my tried and true method is three chords and the truth...
add a little harmonica ala Bruce, Bob and Neil and I'm a happy man... even
if no one is listening. Now I have the greatest audience of my life, as at
43 years old, I have become a Dad for the first time. So I place my little
two month old daughter Emily on the bed and grab my guitar and harmonica and
play for her... she looks at me in the most adoring fashion and smiles and
gurgles as if to sing along... my greatest audience... my greatest thrill.
I'm happy.
title Musical Director.
Richard
2006-01-05 14:07:44 UTC
Peter Stone Brown is a song writter with a CD under his belt. Very nice deep
voice and a decent guitar player to boot. I hear his brother was a decent
bass player, but I don't know if he wrote any songs.

Richard.
Chris Jepson
2006-01-05 16:23:20 UTC
Post by Richard
Peter Stone Brown is a song writter with a CD under his belt. Very nice deep
voice and a decent guitar player to boot. I hear his brother was a decent
bass player, but I don't know if he wrote any songs.
Richard.
I saw him as an opening act for someone awhile ago and got his CD. I
especially like the song "Walking in My Sleep". Sort of a decent
Springsteen/Dylan imitation.

Chris Jepson
G***@mindspring.com
2006-01-05 16:22:14 UTC
I've written rock, blues, and cabaret songs. Never sold any, but one
song for which I wrote the lyrics was sung at Weill Recital Hall at
Carnnegie Hall, in a benefit for the NYC ballet. That and another one
were sung in cabarets in Manhattan. I've made a few recordings with a
friend of mine of some rock/blues/country songs but never succeeded in
selling any. One of them was the only middle eastern country song I
know of, called "Cowboy on a Camel."
title Musical Director.
Wilbur Slice
Does "Ahab the Arab" count?
G***@mindspring.com
Yeah, I guess so. Haven't heard it in years...how country is it?
Wilbur Slice
Ray Stevens - that's close enough...
Chris Jepson
2006-01-05 16:45:33 UTC
I'm good at coming up with bits of songs -- riffs and hooks, and
sometimes as much as a whole verse. They tend to pop into my head more
or less spontaneously... in fact, some of the best have come to me in
dreams. (I have to write them down right after waking up or else I
forget them.) I don't know if this is true or not, but my theory is
that this results from my being an omnivorous music listener... I've
collected several thousand LPs of all kinds over the past 20-odd years,
which means that I've probably heard an average of one new (to me) LP
every three days or so over that period... so these bits of songs are
like the drops that come out of a soaked sponge.

I don't ususally do too well when I work consciously at songwriting, so
I have only a few finished songs... when I do make a conscious effort to
write a song, I generally start with the hook or riff and work outwards
from it... as far as lyrics go, I'll often start out with some random
phrase that fits the tune, and if I carry the thing around with me in my
head over a period of days or weeks, sometimes a more coherent set of
lyrics will gradually emerge.

Chris Jepson
WS Krispy
2006-01-05 18:57:26 UTC
Post by JohnB
[...]
Noodled around with original "instrumentals" on guitar for years.
Finally sat down to compose complete songs in mid-`03. Now have about
12 basically finished pieces, all recorded rather crudely via computer
soundcard. Basically wanted to write and record these to get them out
of my system, but something about them kept... whispering. Whether
that's a function of ego or whether the melodies/lyrics really are so
engaging is impossible to say... Girlfriend made unauthorized CDs of
these recordings and pretty much everyone she gave them to said this
stuff ought to be professionally recorded. I was looking into the best
way to go about that when I was hit with cancer and pretty much
"invalided" to this day, with little chance to recover enough even to
lay down demo-quality versions... Ah well, there is little doubt much
great music has never made it into musician repertoires or onto
commercial media. Some of it existed only in the mind, some of it
tickled the air in a few private performances, some of it was captured
on tape/disk but will never be dusted off by those who knew the
creator... For every "Greensleeves" and "The Times They Are A Changin'"
that made it out there, there's another that never did.

wsk
D. Rusnak
2006-01-06 06:26:12 UTC
Interesting post! I start with a melody, for which I may or may not at
first know the chord progression, and a few words here and there, that
may or may not end up in the song. I usually get a feeling or notion,
pick up a guitar and out pops a melody. I've been writing on/off for
about 30 years now. I recorded my songs only on fair home recording
equipment until a few years ago when I started to record with ADATs,
Mackie board, good mics, etc. What style? Beatles, man, Beatles! I'm
very influenced by early/mid Beatles, 50s/60s R'n'R and Pop Rock,
Merseybeat, rockabilly, etc. I hope to complete, master and print up a
CD of original songs this year.
title Musical Director.
Jeff -
2006-01-13 22:47:14 UTC
Interesting post! I start with a melody, for
which I may or may not at first know the
chord progression, and a few words here
and there, that may or may not end up in the
song. I usually get a feeling or notion, pick
up a guitar and out pops a melody.
You do this exactly like I do, and as I go on, I'm
incapable of writing any decent lyrics.

<g>
I've been writing on/off for about 30 years
now. I recorded my songs only on fair home
recording equipment until a few years ago
when I started to record with ADATs, Mackie
board, good mics, etc. What style? Beatles,
man, Beatles! I'm very influenced by
early/mid Beatles, 50s/60s R'n'R and Pop
Rock, Merseybeat, rockabilly, etc. I hope to
complete, master and print up a CD of
original songs this year.
Please e-mail me when you are finished with your Cd. Whether you are
giving free copies away..or selling it...I'm interested in hearing
what you've accomplished.

Jeff

--
Check Out This Fantastic Classical Guitarist
Margaret Slovak
http://www.rhapsody.com/
Lookingglass
2006-01-06 06:57:30 UTC
Great stuff here...!!!

I really wish I could hear some of the songs you folks have written... it's
gotta be better than the CRAP that's being shoved down our throats by THE
MEDIA...

I wrote a "beatle-style" song... it's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Mainly though, I write sort of instrumental/folk/classical/my style type of
stuff.

But it was THE BEATLES who inspired me to write. I have produced 3 CDs of my
own music. Some of it recorded on a cheap RadioShack cassette recorder...
some of it more recently using my PC and MIDI and SoundFonts... then I
record them using SoundForge and burn to CD.

I'm a happy camper... even if no one likes them (though most do). I'm very
proud of what I have produced... with not musical training whatsoever...
just my own burning desire... if the BEATLES could do it, why can't I???

dave (...there's nothing you can do that can't be done... nothing you can
sing that can't be sung...)

www.Shemakhan.com
Paulalenna McCarharriringo
www.Shemakhan.com
Rocket Scientist
2006-01-05 23:36:14 UTC
Post by JohnB
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.
How long have you been writing?
I wrote my first complete song when I was 13 years old. Before then, I
did what most other people did - change the words to existing songs as
a joke to make them funny. My song production slowed dramatically but
I've written over 300 songs in my entire songwriting "career."
Post by JohnB
What style do you write?
I started out writing folk songs and love ballads. Eventually, I wrote
a few "rocking" ones. Once in a while, I'd still write a funny song to
keep myself from getting too serious.
Post by JohnB
How do you compose?
Most of my songs are chord driven in that I'd play a chord and come up
with a tune with lyrics to match. Sometimes when I've got writer's
block, I would come up with funky chords to get myself to come up with
weirder melodies. I mostly compose on the guitar but I've also used
the piano to get myself out of a rut (and to do something different
too).
Post by JohnB
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
I've recorded my songs on reel-to-reel and cassette tape recorders
mainly for my personal use. I've sent some copies to friends and have
played a few of my songs to classmates.
Post by JohnB
Ever been covered?
Nope. Well, I take that back. My claim to fame is that one of my
songs was chosen to be the Senior Song played during my high school
graduation. I was mighty proud of that moment when it was performed by
about 25 people (me included).

-H
Oumer Teyeb
2006-01-06 09:36:50 UTC
Post by JohnB
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.
How long have you been writing?
I think like 5 years ago...but started thinking of it seriously for the
last couple of years
Post by JohnB
What style do you write?
Folk/classic rock/...I write mostly of stuff that either happend to me
or that I witnessed...
Post by JohnB
How do you compose?
acapella, mostly... (still not able to play any instrument, but learning
the keyboard at the moment)...and I got a hand from a couple of friends
a couple of times for 3 or 4 songs...
Post by JohnB
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
The shape that my voice is now, I think I will get arrested or be forced
to wear a mouth plug if I try to record them commercially at the
moment....but I tried it once with a friend, it took us a total of 3 hrs
or so to do them...you can hear them ,if you want, at
www.kom.auc.dk/~oumer/music (on the left side you have the lyrics, and
click on the version1,version2 or take1 links for the three or four
songs I recorded)
Post by JohnB
Ever been covered?
:-) :-) :-) :-)
Richard
2006-01-06 14:03:03 UTC
OK, my college roommate wrote a song or two (still does). After he dropped
out he came back for a visit and I helped clean up the lyrics to one song
that was covered by Richie Havens. "Follow". Does that count. I could not
get Richie to cover any of my songs, and I can't sing. I gave up trying to
write years ago.

Richard.
paramucho
2006-01-06 13:08:33 UTC
Post by JohnB
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.
How long have you been writing?
In the late sixties and early seventies I wrote hundreds of them.
These days I tend to just have a single song lying around that I
slowly whittle into shape and then forget. And start a new one. And
then there's that song I've been trying to finish for about ten years
now. Great lick and chorus, but still no verse.
Post by JohnB
What style do you write?
Mostly pathetic white rock... but apart from that just about anything
from about 1500 to now, although I couldn't rap to save my knuckles
and heavy metal is beyond my ken.
Post by JohnB
How do you compose?
I generally start off without thinking about it much. Just get in the
zone, usually triggered by something which remains ephemeral.
Finishing up is a more calculated process unless the original idea was
strong enough to complete itself.

These days, the thing that's changed is that I don't have any internal
*reason* to write.
Post by JohnB
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
Some of the early stuff. Well, four of them -- but not by me, but by a
band. Had some chart action but then I gave it away and went bush for
a bit. Lots of home recordings -- mostly lost.
Post by JohnB
Ever been covered?
I've heard one or two of my songs played by mates in their bands.

Someone in Sweden released our recorded stuff under another name...
ripped off rather than covered.
Tamara
2006-01-07 00:23:54 UTC
Post by JohnB
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.
How long have you been writing?
What style do you write?
How do you compose?
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
Ever been covered?
How about poets?
A bit of practical poetry:

"I feel so broken hearted,
I came to shit, but only farted.
(anonymous)

Tamara
Seth Jackson
2006-01-07 07:21:27 UTC
Post by JohnB
How long have you been writing?
Wrote my first song in 1983.
Post by JohnB
What style do you write?
Started out writing folk and rock, but eventually gravitated towards
country.
Post by JohnB
How do you compose?
I usually start with a title, write the lyric, and then put music to
it. Lately, most of my songs are collaborations with other writers.
Post by JohnB
Recorded? Commercially or just for fun?
I've been making every effort to write commercially. When I have
songs I like enough, I go to a demo studio and pay professional
musicians and singers to record my songs. I then take them to music
publishers and/or songpluggers to pitch them to artists and labels.
Occasionally, I do artist pitches directly myself.
Post by JohnB
Ever been covered?
I've had about 15 or so songs recorded on independent releases. One
of the songs was released as a single in 2004 and received airplay on
40 stations across the US. It made it to #15 on the FMQB Adult
Contemporary airplay chart (www.fmqb.com). The video made it into
rotation on GAC TV. Unfortunately, the band split up just at the
wrong time.

I also had a song in the movie "Letters From a Killer" starring
Patrick Swayze. It plays on HBO from time to time.

For anyone in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area who might be interested, I
run the local chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Association
International (NSAI), and we meet twice a month to work on our
songwriting. Email me if you want to get on our mailing list.
G***@mindspring.com
2006-01-07 14:35:19 UTC
Post by JohnB
Inspired, no doubt, by our heroes, it seems there are many amongst us
who are songwriters too. Responses to earlier threads have shown this
to be the case, so let's expand on that please.
Here are the lyrics to a song I wrote some years ago that's on topic.

Love Me and Leave Me (Pattie Boyd)
Copyright 1995 by Lawrence A. Herman

They say that for every great man in the world
There's a woman who standing behind him
But sometimes she's thinking of somebody greater
And soon she'll have gone off to find him

They say all great artists have got to know pain
So I've set myself for a fall
I've fallen in love with the great Pattie Boyd
The best inspiration of all

(Chorus)
I want a woman who'll make me suffer
Drive me to drink, make me feel paranoid
I want a woman who won't let you bluff her
Love me and leave me, Patti Boyd

Some say that true love isn't worth all the cost
It's always too far to fall
But I say it's better to have loved and lost
That not have a hit at all

(Chorus)
I want a woman whose love is uncertain
Who likes to make a good comparison
I want a woman who'll keep me hurtin'
Love me and leave me, Pattie Harrison

(Bridge)

She'll bleed me till I need to bare my soul
She'll leave my heart with that artistic bruise
When she loves me, I'll play my rock and roll
When she leaves me, I'll sing the blues

I don't lack the talent to make the big time
It's easy as one-two-three
Once I have captured the woman who'll make
A public fool out of me

(Chorus)
I want a woman whose love is uncertain
Who'll leave a relationship she feels trapped in
I want a woman familiar with flirtin'
Love me and leave me, Pattie Clapton
G***@mindspring.com

G***@mindspring.com

M. Rick
2006-01-09 19:02:24 UTC
Ever gotten laid from one of your songs?
Weatherman
2006-01-13 02:13:05 UTC
If it wasn't for some of my songs, and a few of Dylan's, Paul Simon,
etc....I'd never have gotten laid!!!!!